Surface Modification of Biomaterials 2
Timeslot: Friday, April 23, 2021 - 1:45pm to 3:15pm
Track: Functional Biomaterials and Surfaces
In biomedical applications, the surface properties of biomaterials are critical. The surface of biomaterials determines the outcomes of biological-biomaterial interactions. Only certain surface properties can induce optimized cell interaction and adhesion thereby improving cell attachment and biocompatibility of the biomaterials. Various surface modification technologies have been developed and assessed to control the physicochemical interactions between biomaterials and the biological environment at the molecular, cellular, and tissue levels. This symposium aims to highlight the recent advances and challenges in surface modification technologies and fundamental understandings of the biomaterials-tissue interaction in orthopedic and other areas. This symposium will cover topics related to advanced surface modification methods that are well established and those that are still in the early stage of development, and applications of such methods to optimize surface chemistry, morphology, and structures, and discuss how such modifications may lead to the development of promising biomaterials and successful medical devices.
Guigen Zhang, PhD
Bingyun Li, PhD
Abstracts will be available for download on April 20, 2021.
270. Acylation of electrospun chitosan membranes with medium chain fatty acids, Landon Choi1, Jessica Jennings, PhD1, Joel Bumgardner, PhD1, Tomoko Fujiwara, PhD2, Zoe Harrison1, Carlos Wells11University of Memphis, Memphis, TN, USA, 2(University of Memphis), Memphis, TN, USA
271. Effects of Zwitterionic Polymer Brush Density and Chain Length on Resisting Protein Adsorption, Julia King, Prabhleen Kaur, Buddy Ratner, PhDUniversity of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
272. Sub-Nano to Nanoscale Wear of Titanium Oxide-Metal Surfaces Using Atomic Force Microscopy, Yangping Liu, Jeremy GilbertClemson University, Charleston, SC, USA
273. Tunable Membrane Modification of Milk Exosomes for Mucus Penetration, Chenzhen Zhang, Bachelor, Armin Vedadghavami, Bachelor, Matthew Warren, High scool, Ambika Bajpayee, PhDNortheastern University, Boston, MA, USA
274. Evaluation of Electrosprayed Chitosan Coatings with Incorporated Calcium Phosphate Nanoshells, Andrew Watson, Joel Bumgardner, PhD, Ranganathan Gopalakrishnan, PhD, Tomoko Fujiwara, PhD, Sanjay Mishra, PhDUniversity of Memphis, Memphis, TN, USA
275. Quantifying Crosslinking Density of Photopolymerized Hydrogels with NMR, Jonathan Zatorski, Emma Parker, Jeff Ellena, PhD, Rebecca Pompano, PhDUniversity of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA